Endodontic treatment has now been completed. The root canal system has been permanently sealed. However, the outer surface is sealed with a temporary restoration. A follow-up restoration must be placed to protect your tooth against fracture and decay. Please telephone your restorative dentist for an appointment. A complete report of treatment will be sent to your restorative dentist. Included in your treatment is a follow-up examination after one year to evaluate healing. This appointment will require only a few minutes and no additional fee will be charged for the first check-up visit. Please call for an appointment when you receive a post card or email notification from our office.
Your tooth is more prone to fracture immediately after endodontic treatment. You should chew on the other side until your restorative dentist has placed a core build-up and a protective restoration, usually a crown. If your tooth’s strength is seriously compromised, your endodontist or restorative dentist may place a post and core build-up inside the tooth. Your restorative dentist and endodontist will determine the appropriate restoration to best protect your tooth.
If you have any questions, please call our office at Bloomington Office Phone Number 309-663-9521
• Apply cold compresses to outside of face in the area of surgery-15 minutes on, 15 minutes off-for 4-6 hours. Do not use after 24 hours. It is not unusual to have post-operative swelling. If swelling does occur, it should begin to decrease after the third day.
• Some swelling should be expected; however, it will reach its maximum in 48-72 hours, and then it will start to decrease.
• If prescribed antibiotics, take as directed until all medication is consumed. For pain use OTC analgesics (Advil, aspirin, Tylenol, etc.) every 4 to 6 hours unless you require the stronger prescription we may have written for you.
• Do not rinse your mouth for the first 24 hours.
• Starting the second day after your treatment, use warm salt water soaks (1 teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water) in your mouth by over the treated area. The solution should be changed 2-3 times over a 5 minute period. This 5 minute soak should be done 2 to 3 times a day. Continue this regimen for the remainder of the week.
• For the first 24 hours, eat soft, cool foods that can be easily chewed or swallowed. Avoid eating or drinking hot foods or liquids (coffee, soup, tea).
• Do not raise your lip or pull on the cheek to look at the surgical site. This might tear the sutures (stitches).
• A little bleeding or oozing is normal after the surgery. If worried, place a wet teabag firmly against the area for 20 minutes or longer if necessary. If bleeding continues, please call the office.
• Avoid brushing and flossing for the first six days in the surgical area. After 6 days, brush and floss very delicately.
• Do not smoke, spit, blow your nose, or take any alcoholic beverages for the first 24 hours. These actions may delay healing and cause complications.
• The stitches we have placed should be removed in about 1 week
Serving the Following CitiesBloomington IL • Peoria IL • Normal IL • Champaign IL • Decatur IL Pontiac IL